An updated version of the Australian standard which governs design sound levels and reverberation times has just been released. Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 2107:2016 “Acoustics - Recommended design sound levels and reverberation times for building interiors” (AS/NZS 2107:2016) recommends noise and reverberation design criteria within building interiors to ensure a healthy, comfortable and productive environment for the occupants and users.
What You Need to Know
The top three significant changes to the Standard are:
- The satisfactory and maximum design sound levels for each space have been replaced with a design sound level range with a recommended lower and upper level. The Standard now also provides brief commentary on the implications that low internal noise levels (below the recommended range) can have on acoustic masking and speech privacy.
- Many of the values for the recommended design sound levels and reverberation times have been revised. These revisions include changes to the reverberation time charts for spaces specifically intended to be used for clear speech, music, teaching and communication as well as indoor sport.
- The list of spaces considered by the Standard has been expanded to include more spaces typically found in buildings. For example, open plan teaching spaces, specialised medical spaces, open plan offices, meeting rooms and video conferencing rooms now have recommended design criteria.
Which Publications are Impacted?
There are numerous publications that make reference to AS2107, so chances are that your next project may be impacted by the proposed changes. A few of the key documents that make reference to AS2107 are:
- Green Building Council Australia’s Green Star
- Local Government Planning Permits
- State Government Road Authority noise intrusion policies
- Department of Education and Early Childhood Development Building Quality Standards Handbook
- Department of Human Services design guidelines
Register for our Professional Development Session
Marshall Day Acoustics is currently planning to host a Professional Development Session in Melbourne on AS/NZS 2107:2016. Feel free to contact us to be placed on our invitee list: